- 2 cups cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and coarsely grated or finely chopped (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup minced white onion
- ½ teaspoon minced green chili (Serrano, Thai, or jalapeno; optional)
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 pinch teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients.
- Set aside for 20 minutes before serving.
- Consistency of raita should be slightly runnier than yogurt. Salt for taste.
- Serve cool or at room temperature.
*Makes about 4 cups